Jordan Hill, um vencedor.

Discussão geral sobre a liga universitaria americana, projeções e futuros drafts da NBA

Moderadores: MatheusK, What's Up, Doc?

E...?

Underrated.
50%
Overrated.
25%
Bust.
25%

Total de votos : 8
<<

Texano

Nível 13: Seleção Brasileira

Mensagem por Texano » Dom Jun 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Jordan Hill, um vencedor.

Jordan Hill overcomes obstacles on way to NBA

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The circle of friends and family surrounding Jordan Hill in the green room at the NBA draft in a couple of weeks might be larger than usual.

When you travel the difficult road that Hill has from emotional heartbreak as a young child to the cusp of your biggest dreams at 21, those who helped you along that way must be acknowledged.

Hill, who blossomed into an All-American during his junior season at Arizona, is projected to be among the top 10 picks in the draft.

It’s a quantum leap for a player who wasn’t eligible to play on the team his junior year at North Springs High School. And an otherworldly jump when you consider that future NBA players are identified as early as middle school these days.

“It was a tough road,” Hill said. “But I had people by my side every step of the way.”

People such as Keith Ivy, who became Hill’s legal guardian in high school and helped guide him off the court as well as into organized basketball, where he could take advantage of his size and obvious athleticism.

People such as Gary Graham, whose Smyrna Stars offered Hill an avenue outside of high school basketball to showcase his skills to college coaches who missed him because he bypassed the traditional high school/grassroots circuit that future pros usually travel.

And people such as Memphis coach Josh Pastner, who was an assistant under Lute Olson at Arizona when the Hall of Fame coach caught his first glimpse of Hill’s raw talent and star potential in a summer-league game.

“Jordan’s a great feel-good story for anyone willing to dream and anyone that believes in the power of love and prayer,” Graham said.

Hill’s mother, Carol, died from breast cancer when he was 3 years old. He had four residences and six primary caregivers before finishing high school. And Hill still needed a year at the Patterson School, a North Carolina prep school, to become eligible to play at Arizona.

If not for a breakout performance against now-Los Angeles Clippers center DeAndre Jordan at a tournament in Houston with the Smyrna Stars, Hill might not have been seen by Olson and Pastner, who played at Arizona alongside Hawks point guard Mike Bibby.

“He wasn’t ranked, there was no ranking on him [at the time],” Pastner said, emphasizing just how rare it is for a player to come out of nowhere to the top of the NBA draft in three years. “It just shows the importance of evaluating. It’s so much more important than you think. And Jordan gets a lot of credit. He worked so hard. You could always tell the ability was there.

“But who knows what would have happened if he hadn’t hooked up with Gary Graham? Who knows how things might have turned out if he didn’t get that chance or the chance to work with Chris Chaney at the Patterson School?”

Hill said he always loved the game, but with more important things on his daily priority list at 16, he simply didn’t have the luxury of making basketball his primary focus. A top-10 draft pick, though?

“It was absolutely one of my goals,” said Hill, the youngest of three siblings. “For me to tell somebody ‘I’m going to be an NBA player’ wasn’t even realistic because nobody knew who I was. I just always had the heart for the game. I was going to work hard. And I knew if the opportunity to play at the next level came my way I was going to do whatever I had to do to make it.”

Graham saw the tools when Ivy brought Hill to the gym in Smyrna years ago. And even though Hill came to him later than usual, Graham said he saw more than just a 6-foot-10 kid who was a dunker with loads of potential.

“I started calling college coaches and telling them I had this kid that was way under the radar because of his situation,”Graham said.“Jordan was a hard worker. He could really shoot the ball and could run the floor, too. You could tell then that once he developed and came into his own, he had a chance.”

A chance to stand out in college. A chance to take advantage of a Division I scholarship. And now a chance to turn his life around and take care of his family.

“When you’ve got a kid that’s 6-10 and can shoot the ball and can run and jump, the sky is the limit,” Graham said. “A lot of kids at that age haven’t really developed their skills yet. He had it. You could see that part of it. God just worked it out.”

Hill eased into his role for the Wildcats, playing 14 minutes a game off the bench as a freshman. Hill averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds for an Arizona team ravaged by injuries and defections as a junior. Along with good friends Chase Budinger and Nic Wise, Hill led the Wildcats to a surprise Sweet 16 appearance.

Early draft forecasts had him projected to go as high as the third pick to Oklahoma City. He’s still mentioned prominently anywhere from fifth to tenth.

“Jordan’s just an unbelievable kid,” said Pastner, who recently replaced John Calipari at Memphis. “And he’s going to be a very good NBA player. He’s a good person. He’s grounded, and he tells it like is. Most important, though, he has good family and good people around him.”
Imagem

"What is dead, may never die..."
<<

Schneider123

Mensagem por Schneider123 » Dom Jun 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Jordan Hill, um vencedor.

só vi um jogo dele e pelo que eu leio, pode ser um bom jogador. talvez n um all-star e talz. mas um jogador nos moldes do nenê e tals. nunca uma first option, mas um ótimo jogador que defende bem que pode ser uma third option ou até mais.

ja vi muita gente dizendo que ele vai ser um bustao. por isso, talvez seja underrated.

mas n tenho muita certeza sobre ele.
<<

Texano

Mensagem por Texano » Dom Jun 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Once considered a sure-fire, top-five pick in the June 25 NBA draft, (Jordan) Hill has started to fall into the range of 6-through-10. His first individual workout was Friday with the Warriors - who own the seventh pick - but they are expected to pick a point guard.

"I really don't care about that, man," Hill said. "What you read are what people who aren't around think. They're not with the coaches or the GMs or with the people who make the decisions.

"It sounds like I'm going to drop, but that has more to do with the teams drafting than it has to do with my skills."
Imagem

<<

Texano

Mensagem por Texano » Ter Jun 16, 2009 2:18 am

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_12581069
If Hill doesn't climb, Warriors might take him
Updated: 06/12/2009 10:59:11 PM PDT

OAKLAND — What if, when the Warriors are on the clock during the NBA draft June 25, a lauded big man is there for the taking?

What if a 6-foot-10, 235-pound, athletic inside player who some predict could go as high as No. 2 overall, is still on the board for Golden State? What if the Warriors have a chance to nab a player who eventually could fulfill their need for a low-post scorer without slowing down their pace?

"I hear some people saying they do need a point guard," Arizona junior power forward Jordan Hill said of the Warriors. "But that could change. It could be they want a big man."

Hill, 21, is perhaps unlikely to be there when the Warriors' turn comes at No. 7, considering he's regarded as the most NBA-ready big man next to Oklahoma power forward Blake Griffin, who's expected to go No. 1 to the Los Angeles Clippers. But if Hill is there, he may tempt the Warriors to disregard need and go for the best player available.

Hill held a solo workout with the Warriors on Friday morning. He said he was "pretty good" in his showing, which consisted, among other things, of running the floor, shooting midrange jumpers and working with his left hand.

He said he had dinner with Warriors coach Don Nelson on Thursday. He walked away thinking No. 7 might be the lowest he'll go.

"He said if I'm not picked in the top six," Hill said, "they're probably going to take me."

Drafting Hill could give the Warriors some flexibility to move a couple of their big men to fill a need. He also has the girth to play center — well, at least more than Warriors power forwards Anthony Randolph and Brandan Wright — which means the Warriors theoretically could add Hill without hindering the development of Randolph.

If nothing else, Hill might be good trade bait, as the Warriors are expected to be active in the market.

Though Memphis (No. 2), Oklahoma City (No. 3) and Washington (No. 5) are in the market for a young big man, Hill said falling to No. 7 would in no way be a disappointment. He said he'd fit with the Warriors' style of play and would relish trying to fill their need for inside scoring.

Golden State already has a stable of power forward/center types in Andris Biedrins, Ronny Turiaf, Randolph and Wright. And don't forget about Rob Kurz and Jermareo Davidson deep on the bench.

But Hill would come in being arguably the most capable inside scorer, and he'd give Randolph and Biedrins a run for being the team's best rebounder. He lacks fundamentals and polish, largely because of his inexperience (only two years as a regular starter at Arizona), so he likely wouldn't walk into the starting lineup.

"I heard he's real hard on rookies," Hill said of Nelson. "That's fine. Lute Olson was that way at Arizona."
Agora entendi porque o Tales apaixonou pelo Hill :lol:
Imagem

<<

Mellinari

Nível 32: All-Star

Mensagem por Mellinari » Ter Jun 16, 2009 10:12 am

Texano escreveu:Agora entendi porque o Tales apaixonou pelo Hill :lol:
nem preciso dizer o porque o tales se apaixonou por ele:

Imagem

:valcaterno:
Imagem
Ribeirão Preto Pinguins - Campeão SL 07/08 e FDB 13/14
<<

Texano

Mensagem por Texano » Ter Jun 16, 2009 10:56 am

Rubio's been pretty adamant that he doesn't want to be in Memphis, which holds the No. 2 pick in the draft. While he doesn't have the same objection to Oklahoma City, which holds the third pick, sources say the Thunder are leaning toward drafting either James Harden or Stephen Curry.
Famoso smokescreen. Opções de PG do Thunder: Westbrook, Watson, Atkins, Livingston, opções de SG do Thunder: Thabo, Weaver, Wilkins, Mason. Fora que o Thabo complementa o Westbrook e desafoga o Durant. Curry funciona pra time que joga em pace rápido. Opções de PF pro Thunder: Jeff Green e Malik Rose. MALIK ROSE. Fala sério.
One rumor that is making the rounds has Minnesota sending Memphis Kevin Love in exchange for the #2 pick (and filler). Minnesota would then draft Ricky Rubio, which could help them significantly with their ticket sales, and still have the #6 pick at their disposal, which they could use to take someone like Jordan Hill.
Todo mundo achando que o Hill vai sobrar, ai vai lá o Oklahoma que fez 3 workouts com o cara e créu.
Imagem

<<

L.A. Lakers

Mensagem por L.A. Lakers » Ter Jun 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Knicks Hope Jordan Hill Falls

Jun 16, 2009 4:36 PM EST

The Knicks would reportedly take Jordan Hill over Stephen Curry in a heartbeat.

The New York Post has reported that Knicks president Donnie Walsh likes Hill, and feels as though there is a better chance of the forward falling than Curry.

Walsh was scheduled to watch Hill during a solo workout on Tuesday.

"If draft day comes and goes and he's on their roster, it's a very good day for the Knicks," said one NBA GM. "He rebounds, defends, scores, and the key is he can run. Bigs that can run is a requisite in Mike's [D'Antoni's] way of playing."
Imagem
Imagem
[/size]
<<

Drakes

Nível 1: Pára-quedista

Mensagem por Drakes » Qua Jun 17, 2009 11:50 am

Não acredito que ele passe do Washington. os rumores antes é que o Wizards queria livrar-se desse pick, agora primeiro sempre aparece o nome do Jamison nas trocas e cada vez menos o pick n.5.